Guess what? I’m back again, two days in a row, with another Pizza Snack: Miniature Pizza Bagel Bites.
If I had been smarter, I would’ve called this week Pizza Week and brought back some oldies but goodies, like this pizza apron + pizza party post:
A couple of weeks ago our Junior League River Road Recipes committee was asked to demonstrate an easy back to school snack from one of the award winning cookbooks during the noon segment for WAFB. The Miniature Pizzas were chosen (Warm Welcomes, RRR IV, pg 51 ) and I was asked to head downtown and whip them up.
Super easy. Miniature bagels, spaghetti sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, and your choice of toppings.
Of course, I took the Miniature Pizza Bagel Bites a step further and included some additional toppings. I also really wanted to showcase how easily the kids could get involved in helping make the pizzas. And I guess you could say I got a little carried away with the toppings and couldn’t stop myself at merely sprinkling on the pepperonis. Oh no, no, no.
I had to turn them into flowers.
And the olives and hamburger crumbles became cute little smiley faces.
Because Lord knows smiley face Miniature Pizza Bagel Bites are cuter with parsley hair.
If they had given us longer than 3-5 minutes who knows what we could’ve created with some pepperonis, ham, and hamburger crumbles!
I mentioned yesterday, when referring to the Pizza Dip, that topping combinations are ENDLESS and this applies to these little guys, too!
These are great for after school snacks, weekend sleep overs, and even tailgates. The main thing we wanted guests of the show to take away was how easy and approachable most of the recipes found inside the River Road Recipes collection of cookbooks truly are. And not only easy, but with a bit of creativity, they can be fun for the entire family.
Here’s the recipe:
- 4 miniature bagels, cut in half
- 1 c. spaghetti sauce
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices pepperoni (sliced, optional)
- sliced green or black olives (optional)
- **crumbed hamburger meat, canadian bacon, & mini pepperoni toppings can all be found in the cooler area of your grocery store!**
- Arrange the bagel halves cut side up on a baking sheet. Spread each with some of the spaghetti sauce, about 1 tbsp. Layer with cheese and desired toppings.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 7-10 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Makes 8 miniature pizzas
And here’s the link to the video:
Always interesting to watch and hear yourself on tv. Is that really what I sound like?
And do aprons really add unnecessary volume? Uh huh. Sure do.
Need to lay off the Mini Pizzas….