Happy National S’mores Day! If there were ever a day I could get behind, it’s a day set aside to honor the combination of graham crackers + marshmallow + chocolate, i.e the S’more. These Mini Mason Jar S’mores Cakes combine all of my favorite things: chocolate and delicious, cute and portable, and….they score you brownie points for dropping off to a friend OR surprising your spouse on a National holiday.
Ok, so “maybe” these National food days aren’t actual holidays but in a world that could use all the extra sweetness it can get, I hereby declare my participation in them.
Let’s just talk about these little cuties a bit, shall we?
What more could you possibly need to brighten someone’s day (or your own) than these tiny baby S’mores cakes?! Each one contains a graham cracker crust, a layer of Devil’s food cake, topped with a layer of additional milk chocolate, followed by toasted marshmallows and graham crackers.
I’ll tell you what else you need. Nothing.
I have a million of the 4 ounce mini mason jars from when I make my Mason Jar Cheesecakes. They are so small that you don’t feel nearly as guilty for indulging!
At least….that’s what I tell myself.
This ensemble is what you call a semi-homemade treat. If you prefer, you could use your favorite chocolate cake recipe in lieu of the boxed Devil’s food cake. I decided at the last minute to make these little guys and opted for the quick and easy “semi” homemade avenue.
- For the Crust:
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- For the Cake:
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake
- 1 cup chocolate chip morsels
- For the Topping:
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 sleeve Graham crackers
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Create your graham cracker crust by combining the butter, graham cracker crumbs and sugar just until moistened. In an 8×8 greased square cake pan (I used parchment paper for mine and extend over the edges), firmly press the graham cracker crust. Set aside.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the boxed instructions and pour 75% of the batter over the top of the graham cracker crust. Use the remaining batter for cupcakes or discard. Bake according to instructions if using a pan other than a square pan- my 8×8 pan took about 30-35 mins.
- Remove from oven and allow the cake to cool completely.
- Line up your 4 ounce mason jars (6-8 of them) and using a round cookie cutter punch out your cake and drop into each mason jar.
- Heat the chocolate chip morsels in the microwave at 20 seconds intervals until smooth. I heat mine directly in a piping bag. Snip the edge of the bag and cover the cake with a coating of chocolate.
- Top each mason jar with a couple of graham cracker pieces and several mini marshmallows.
- Set the oven to the lowest broil setting and pop the mason jars into the oven. WATCH CLOSELY- it will only take a few seconds to lightly toast them.
Will you be celebrating today?
If you’re not a fan of the effort of these Mini Mason Jar S’mores Cakes, you might be interested in these S’mores Bars or maybe this Sweet Potato S’mores Pie.
Clearly, I don’t discriminate against the S’more!