Sometimes you make something, not particularly because you love it, but because it makes for an ideal holder for your Pimento Cheese. And in the South, isn’t it really all about the Pimento Cheese?
Such is the case for these Jalapeño Pimento Cheese Tomato Rounds.
I looooove Pimento Cheese.
But I don’t care for tomatoes.
With that being said, I don’t despise tomatoes enough to not eat the contents of the Jalapeño Pimento Cheese.
In fact, if you stuff the Jalapeño Pimento Cheese into a tomato round I’ll eat the contents and give you back your tomato.
These little guys make a really great appetizer for having over friends. I served them at my Girls’ Night In and they were a hit.
The addition of the jalapeño is just enough to keep them from being plain ole’ boring pimento cheese.
And serving them in the tomato rounds keeps you from serving them sandwich style (i.e. cutting down on everyone’s bread consumption).
Super easy to make and would make the perfect tailgating snack addition.
I think they’d even be fabulous served in small red bell peppers.
I think I’ll try that next!
- 2 dozen small tomatoes.
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8-oz.) block extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8-oz.) block mild Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (7-oz.) jars diced pimiento, drained
- 1/2 cup drained pickled jalapeño pepper slices
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Remove the stems of the tomatoes and cut in half width-wise. Use a teaspoon and carefully scoop out the tomato pulp. Turn the tomatoes upside down on paper towels to drain. Set aside.
- Finely chop the onion, garlic and jalapeños. In batches, or a large food processor, pulse the cheese with the cream cheese 45 seconds or until well blended. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeños and mayonnaise and pulse again until you achieve the consistency you want.
- Using a teaspoon (or small cookie scooper), gently stuff the Jalapeño Pimento Cheese into each tomato round. Garnish with a slice of additional jalapeño.
Do you have a favorite go-to appetizer for having the girls’ over? Favorite on the go tailgating snack? Share it and I’ll make it!