Today kicks off the first day of our #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife , and I’m so excited to bring you this Cherry Almond Cobbler Recipe. And when I say “our” Summer Dessert Week, I’m referring to 25 of my fellow food bloggers who have teamed up to bring you a weeklong celebration of summer treats. Along with a massive amount of recipes (we’re all posting no less than twice this week), we’re also hosting 6 fun giveaways thanks to our amazing sponsors.
You are in for quite a sweet week!
So without further ado, let’s chat about this gorgeous Cherry Almond Cobbler. If it doesn’t scream Summertime in a bowl, I’m not sure what does.
I wasn’t entirely sure what I would contribute to the Summer Dessert Week festivities but it all began innocently enough when one of our sponsors, Rainier Fruit sent the most beautiful and plump cherries. Harvested in the state of Washington, the organic cherries come from family owned and operated farms dating back to 1888. And you read that correctly, that’s eighteen eighty eight and not a typo.
Now technically I have never ever pitted fresh cherries before y’all. But I had fresh cherries on my doorstep and a brand spanking new cherry pitter from OXO and I felt compelled to give it a go and have some fun. There was really no excuse not to and boy am I glad I did. I will never ever bake with canned cherries again!
There’s no denying the sweet and flavorful bursts of goodness from fresh cherries.
This cobbler crust is more cake-like and the combination of both all-purpose flour and almond flour give it even more of an almond flavor than simply using almond extract alone. It’s also not overly sweet so for those of you trying to avoid too many sweets while we are still enduring swimsuit season, I think you’ll find it a winning combination. Topped with just a small handful of sliced almonds gives it a bit of texture and further enhances the almond.
Go ahead, pull on your stretchy pants and pull up a chair. I’ve got a scoop with your name on it.
- 3-1/2 cups fresh sweet cherries, pitted
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- handful sliced almonds, optional
- vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the cherries, 3⁄4 cup sugar, 1⁄4 cup flour, lemon juice, and almond extract. Spoon the cherry mixture into a 2-quart baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar, remaining 3⁄4 cup flour, almond flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. Using two forks or a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the milk, stirring until combined. (Dough will be wet.) Drop spoonfuls of dough evenly over cherry mixture. Sprinkle a handful of sliced almonds over the top (optional).
- Bake until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling, 35-45 minutes. Allow the cobbler to rest for about 10 minutes. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and watch how quickly you have to refrain from dishing out (or indulging in) second helpings. My husband swears he doesn’t even like cherries and he had the cobbler two nights in a row.
The cobbler has been long gone and seeing it again on my screen as I type these words makes me want more. Sweet tooth problems. Sigh.
Ice Cream Recipes:
No Churn Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream from Big Bear’s Wife
No Churn Cherry Crisp Ice Cream from Miss in the Kitchen
No-Churn Peanut Butter Lovers Ice Cream from Home Sweet Homestead
No Churn Banana Walnut Ice Cream from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Grilled Pineapple Ring Rum Sundae from Daily Dish Recipes
Creamy No Churn Peach Ice Cream from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
Pies of Summer:
Lattice Topped Blueberry Peach Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Coconut Key Lime Pie from The Domestic Kitchen
Berry Cherry Pie from A Blender Mom
Sweet Summertime Cakes:
Cherry Almond Cake from Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
Homemade Angel Food Cake with Sugared Berries from Me and My Pink Mixer
Cherry Vanilla Poke Cake from The Bitter Side of Sweet
Gooey Nutella Microwave Mug Cake from For the Love of Food
No Bake Treats:
Blueberry Coconut Gelato Pie from The Whimsy One
Blueberry Parfait from Bowl Me Over
Churro Bites with Mexican Chocolate Dipping Sauce from Love Bakes Good Cakes
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes from The JavaCupcake Blog
Blueberry Limencello Cobbler from Sweet ReciPeas
Blueberry Biscuits from Fake Ginger
Blueberry Crumb Bars from Southern Plate
Cherry Struesel Muffins from My Baking Heart
Rustic Cherry Galette from Jen Around the World
Roasted Cherry Meringue Fool from Cooking In Stilettos
Cherry Rosemary Cobbler from The Spiffy Cookie