Does the end of summer have you singing the blues? Here in the south, we still have a few more months of summer heat and to be honest, the only kind of blues I’ll be singing with the departure of summer is to the tune of this Old Fashioned Blueberry Pie.
The summers here are brutal. You can literally fry an egg on the sidewalk brutal. We have been walking the dogs after 8pm each night, because any earlier and you will melt. Add to that my heart condition that prevents me from overheating (it’s a long story), and 3 dogs on the top of the breed list for heat stroke….and we’ve been hiding indoors a lot!
This Old Fashioned Blueberry Pie is super simple to make and allows fresh blueberries to be the star of the show. It’s the perfect end of summer pie!
- 1 box refrigerated pie crust (containing 2)
- 3/4 cup of sugar + 1 teaspoon for topping
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/2- 3 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a pie plate with one of the pie crusts and set aside.
- Prepare the filling by combining the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and water in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Heat rapidly, stirring occasionally until thickened. Allow to cool, then add the berries and lemon juice.
- Pour into the pie crust. Either place the remaining crust on the top, crimping the edges and cutting slits in the center for venting, or use cookie cutters to cut out shapes/words and place over the filling. Sprinkle with the teaspoon of sugar over the top.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and into the oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees, shield the pie edges with a pie shield or aluminum foil to prevent excessive burring and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and blueberries are bubbling. Allow to cool before serving.
While pies are typically used as desserts, I could see sharing this one at your next brunch. I mean, it’s not much different than offering a blueberry parfait, or a blueberry biscuit. You’re still getting your blueberries.
And just look how cute it looks with letters!
I bought the letters to spell out “Happy”, too. Spell out “I love you” for a special anniversary, “get well” when a friend is ill, “hello” when you just want to drop off a pie to someone and well, say hello.
I think I’ll have to watch myself for worry I’ll become obsessed with pie wording.
It’s just so fun.
Are you ready for the Fall or are you sad to see Summer go?