Sprouts Farmers Market has come to Baton Rouge, y’all!
I’m sure you’ve heard by now that Baton Rouge has claimed a lucky spot on the list of new locations for the highly touted Sprouts Farmers Market. And if you’re saying to yourself, “self, I’ve never even heard of Sprouts” and you have, in fact, NOT heard that they’re about to open shop in our area then pull up a seat and pour yourself some lemonade because I’m about to fill you in on why this is such an exciting occasion.
(And yes, I ran over during construction and made you a nice little save the date letting you know when our Sprouts officially opens)
Long ago, in a faraway land, I was assigned to work a 3-month stint in Phoenix, Arizona. I stumbled into a Sprouts Farmers Market one evening having been fed up with far too much eating out and a mini fridge that was empty; 3 months is a long time to live in a hotel, y’all. I spotted a Sprouts on my way home, waltzed inside hoping for something I could heat up in my room and was absolutely overwhelmed with the selection of fresh produce, organic offerings and the overall healthy vibe of the store.
This was circa 2008-2009ish and long before Louisiana would get the memo that the progression toward healthy living would become more prevalent. Even down south. It was one of those times when I remember thinking how nice for them on the west coast to have access to healthy alternatives and not only healthy but much more affordable. On average, Sprouts’ produce selection is offered 20-25% below traditional supermarkets.
As I searched the aisles for dinner that day, I found my way towards the Market Corner Deli where made to order sandwiches and an entire assortment of prepared entrees and sides welcomed me with open arms. Sprouts became my to-go during my time in Arizona.
Fun fact: Sprouts began in 1943 when founder Henry Boney began selling fresh food at his fruit stand in San Diego. In 2002, the first Sprouts Farmers Market opened in Chandler, Arizona and his vision of “Healthy Living for Less” was born.
Fast forward to the announcement that Sprouts Farmers Market was opening minutes from my fingertips, you can see why I quickly agreed to hop on board to share a bit of the background about what makes Sprouts so great.
And if you’re thinking, well, that’s fine and dandy they sell discounted produce well then let me also inform you that it doesn’t stop at fresh produce. Oh no, no, no my friends. Sprouts offers a complete shopping experience that reaches far beyond just a farmer’s market. Don’t let the name fool you. They offer meat, seafood, bulk foods, vitamins and supplements, packaged groceries, baked goods, dairy products, frozen foods, natural body care and household items all catered to the growing trend towards embracing health and wellness.
Of the 19,000 products you’ll find inside Sprouts, 90% are natural or organic. NINETY PERCENT. The remaining 10% is geared toward what they refer to as the beginner into healthy eating. Like me. And maybe even you.
I’m so excited (how many times have I said excited?) to be working with Sprouts to celebrate their launch and to bring you healthy recipe inspiration as part of our partnership. I think you’re going to be just as excited to have this gem join our Baton Rouge community. Even the buggy area encourages you to “Have a Healthy Day!”.
As a reminder, Sprouts opens on June 26th here in Baton Rouge.
Today’s post was sponsored by Sprouts Farmers Market but I’d still be excited to welcome them even if it wasn’t! You can visit their website here.