Yesterday, the husband woke up at 3:30am to be at the news station for an interview regarding this years ticket sales during their 5am segment.
Who watches the news at 5am?!? Or cares about LSU tickets that early in the morning?!
I love him dearly but I DVR’d him.
All this to say, I knew he’d come home tired and probably cranky. If I was the one having to be dressed and camera ready for 5am, you better believe I’d need a cupcake.
Make it Nutella Buttercream Chocolate Cupcakes and I might forget all about having to by-pass my beauty sleep.
These cupcakes came about as I was whipping up a favorite snack: sliced banana and a dab of nutella on a graham cracker.
I’m taking a bite and thinking hhhmm…..this would make a yummy cupcake.
I used a box of Duncan Hines chocolate cake mix.
Sshhh….don’t tell the husband.
Whipped up some Nutella buttercream.
Crumbled up some of those graham crackers.
Topped it with a banana.
You talk about score some brownie points!
The husband was all “You made those? When did you have time to make those? Those are very fancy”.
And that’s how it’s done, my friends.
Semi-homemade with the looks of something you paid $3 a pop for in the cupcake shop.
Husband’s early- morning- bad- day turned right around.
It’s also an easy way to impress your new neighbors.
“Hi there! Does your daughter like Nutella? Yeah? Here you go! I made her cupcakes!”
- 1 box Duncan Hines chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3½ – 4 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- ½ cup Nutella
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- Garnish: graham crackers and banana chips
- Bake cupcakes according to box instructions. Allow to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are baking, cream together butter and gradually add the confectioner’s sugar ½ cup at a time. After each cup of sugar has been added, add Nutella 1 tablespoon at a time, then add vanilla. Beat on high for about 20 seconds.
- Add the whipping cream, one tablespoon at a time until the buttercream has reached a consistency where it will hold it’s shape. Add pinch of salt and beat on high for a final 20 seconds.
- Swirl on top of cupcakes, sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on top and add a banana chip.
Works like a charm.
Nutella does that to people.
This Sunday I’ll be signing books at Alexander’s Highland Market with a TON of local vendors!
Come see me. I’ll have snacks. And aprons. And cookbooks.