These Heart Shaped Honey Apple Hand Pies are JUST what you need to win cupid over.
They are also the result of me not paying attention in my most recent webinar class. I had begun their preparation and there I was, sitting on my computer listening to some really fabulous food bloggers toss around ideas for e-books, healthy snacking, something about hydroponics and then probiotics- have you heard how hot paleo is? And while these are all great things they were discussing, I’m ashamed to say all I was hearing was waaaah waaaaah- you know like on cartoons when someone isn’t paying attention.
All I could think about was getting the apples that had been simmering in the sugared honey into the heart cut outs and then……into the frying pan. Because while I most certainly could’ve baked these little suckers and been a tad bit healthier, my fried and sweet tooth loving heart was saying “Fry me, Valentine. Fry me.”.
So I did and oh, boy were they were it!!!
Flakey on the outside, moist and sweetness on the inside it’s a couple of bites of pure Heaven.
And they’re super duper easy to make.
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped finely
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 package refrigerated pie crusts
- vegetable oil
- confectioners sugar, for dusting
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan over medium heat for about 5 minutes, reduce heat to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until apples are tender- depending on size, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, cool completely and drain.
- Using a heart shape cookie cutter, roll out your pie crust and cut out your heart. Place about 1 1/2 tablespoon of filling into the center of the heart. Be sure to leave plenty of space along the edges so the filling doesn’t ooze.
- Heat enough vegetable oil to cover the heart pies in a medium size dutch oven, or an electric deep fryer. Carefully place the pies into the hot oil and remove once golden. This will go quick! Only about 5-10 seconds.
- Drain on paper towels. Using a sifter, sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle on top.
- Serve warm!
Now, if you’d like to bake these guys, do so at an oven temperature at 425 degrees for about 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
You’re still going to sprinkle with confectioners sugar, so don’t skip that step.
Because, um. Yum.
So stinkin’ good.
Are you cooking up anything special for Valentine’s Day? Or do you just get a card and candy and call it a day?